lymphoma/cancer and being hiv +

Dear Sirs:

Thank you for a wonderful site. I have been very curious about the risk being hiv+ people and cancer. Is it more common and what types? Recently, I've known several hiv+ people, most long term non progressors (most not on HAART) many have had cancer and about half have passed away.

I'm not worried about dying from hiv at this point, but I am worried about cancer. Is the best solution to go on HAART even if you don't need it?

Thanks, hope I was clear enough on my question(s).

Besides the standard AIDS associated tumors (lymphoma and Kaposi's sarcoma)the appears to be increased rates of HPV associated tumors (cervical and anal cancer). It is unclear if there is any link bewtween HIV and or treatment and other main forms of cancer (i.e. prostate, colon, lung, breast, skin, liver). The risk for those forms of cancer is often linked to identified risk factors like smoking or chronic infection with hepatitis B/C. Aging is a risk factor for many cancers so long term survival with HIV/AIDS places patients at risk for the other major causes of death (heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer). KH

Protease Cocktail: A Road to Lipodystrophy?
estavudina