Protease Cocktail: A Road to Lipodystrophy?

In a recent response to a recent question I posed regarding my overt failure to gain weight after 12 weeks' of Sersotim, you said that I would have benefited more from Serostim had I removed the agents of Kaletra, Crixivan, and Viread from my regimen. I have been taking this for about 6 years now. Factually, it was a short period of time into the regimen when I began to see the signs of facial wasting. Since that time it has been a constant struggle to keep my face from having that sunken look. Regular dermatological visits to have Sculptra injected do not seem to combat the problem for but a short time. In addition, this protease regimen has produced an extraordinary number of bowel movements that deplete me of needed body fat. Ironically, my t cells have held steady (300 avg) and viral load undetectable. Nonetheless, I feel/look emaciated. Has it been proven that Kaletra and Crixivan are responsible for facial wasting? If so, is it time for me to change my meds? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Conway

Crixivan is clearly associated with lipoatrophy, but more often with fat accumulation. The same can be said of Kaletra, although to a somewhat lesser extent. Viread is not associated with any of these complications. Of the protease inhibitors, saquinavir and atazanavir are the least associated with these complications, so these (as well as the non-nucleoside agents) may be options for you to maintaining virologic suppression while halting the progression of your body shape changes. I would suggest getting off Crixivan and Kaletra if it is safe for you to do so with respect to your HIV disease.

hiv-diarhea
lymphoma/cancer and being hiv +