HIV and Tonsillitis
Mar 4, 2006
I noticed that I have tonsillitis a lot. Is this a side affect of HIV? My doctor recommended a tonsillectomy; however, I thought your tonsils fight off infections. Will a tonsillectomy cause complications/infections with my HIV status?
Response from Dr. Henry
Tonsils are a type of immune/lymphoid tissue. Most HIV+ patients who undergo a tonsillectomy do fine. The gut is lined with lymphoid tissue so removing the tonsils doesn't significantly impact body defenses in general. KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Chills After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Dry Cough After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Oral Ulcers After Open Mouth Kissing Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Stinging Pain After Getting Head Worried I Have HIV
- Can Mucous Is Anus Be An Std?
- Clear Your Reproductive System Of Hpv Warts
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.