treatment interruptions and resistance

I would like more info on my friend's case. She was on Zerit, videx and stocrin since 2002. She started her meds with a CD4 count of less than 100. She was extremely compliant but her doc advised her to do treatment interruptions, taking the drugs for one week and stopping for another week. This worked fine for a while cos her VL went down to undetectable and CD4 to over 1000. She recently went for her usual blood tests and found that her VL was over 6000 and her CD4 just above 200. What caused this after such a short treatment period and? Could it have been caused by the treatment interruptions. Your opinion? Thank you

Stopping treatment is not recommended for persons with a history of a CD4 count of < 200 (AIDS). Stopping a regimen containing Stocrine (efavirenz) is particularly a problem due to high risk for development of drug resistance so that when the medication is restarted it no longer will work nearly as well. She needs to further discuss her situation with her HIV specialist. KH

hiv
Am I doomed