swollen parotid glands

I've positive for 10+ years and undectable. About two years ago I went through a course of low dose radiation for swollen parotids. They did go down some but still a little enlarged. I asked my doctor if another round of low dose radiation would help and he said no it wouldn't, he could only do a higher dose and it might cause loss of my saliva glands. Now my parodtids are swelling again, usually when I eat, about once a week or so and are sore because of it. What are your thoughts on having another course of low dose treatments? Have any of you patients had any success with that?

Thanks for all your help!

Dallas reader

I have had several patients undergo 2 and occasionally three rounds of low dose radiation for polycystic swelling of the parotid glands. The radiation therapists were appropriately concerned about the benefit and possible loss of parotid function but agreed to try and help out the patient. A careful evaluation by an ENT doc and/or a repeat CT scan evaluating the anatomy and possible pathology is often advisable before going ahead with repeat radiation. KH

lipodystrophy
re: two recent questions