Follow up on Kaletra & Epivir question

Thanks for your quick response. As I mentioned , I have been taking drug therapy since 1991. I have built resistance to most drugs and this regimen of Kaletra & Epivir is one of a few left for me. Do I need a new resistance test? Should I get another opinion? My resources where I live are extremely limited. Thanks, Craig

For most patients with lots of resistance Kaletra + Epivir would not be expected to decrease the viral load to less then the level of detection. In some patients those drugs might be continued simply to try and keep the virus in check and maintain stable CD4 counts until new drugs are available. If you are not yet resistant to Kaletra then a resistance test would be useful to see what could be combined with the Kaletra to try and achieve full suppression (such as another PI or Fuzeon). A number of new drugs (new PIs, CCR5 inhibitors and integrase inhibitors) are becoming increasingly available so it is important to stay in contact with your local HIV specialist who is connected to clinical trials and expanded access programs. KH

Interleukin-2 hiv treatment dosag
bilirubin