Chronic Diarrhea

I have had chronic diarrhea for the past 6 years. I take opium tincture to manage it. Is there any hope that I can one day stop taking the opium tincture and actually have a cure for the diarrhea? I was diagnosed in 1987 and had mild diarrhea over the years and when I started taking meds (combivir and viramune) it got really unmanageable.

Have you had a complete GI work-up looking for any type of infection, good intolerance (gluten or milk products)? Some patients will have their loose stools decrease with calcium supplements or increasing fiber intake. You could also discuss with your HIV specialist whether a change in your HIV regimen might help. Combivir + Viramune usually not too bad as far as causing loose stools. KH

Stopping Meds
Spotty Face