Achilles Heel, joint Pain

Positive for 17+ years, I have always managed to hold my own. Viral load ranges around 4K and Ts stay around 350. Hep B positive for 25+ years with hepatoma caught early a year and a half ago and successfully treated with Radiofrequency ablation. After all that my biggest obstacle qnd newest challenge comes from horrible joint/muscle pain that is most severe in my achilles heels, which are swollen as well. The pain is also in my hips knees, shoulders. MRI shows a slight herniated disc but neurosurgeon does not think it is causing the severe pain. Nerve induction test showed no peripheral neuropathy despite many years of previous Videx use. (We stopped Videx early on in this problem thinking it might have been the cause.) This is truly the most debilitating thing to happen to me in all of my time HIV positive - more of an obstacle than having liver cancer! I am severely limited in my activities, walking is at best a couple of hundred feet which wears me out for the day. The gym is impossible and working is out of the question right now. I am currently on Truvada, Kaletra, and Sustiva. I was on Fuzeon for several years (on early trials before FDA release) but stopped last year when I literally ran out of places on my body to inject. (Interestingly, my viral load and Ts didn't budge when I went off of it.) The complications of T-20 were a walk in the park compared to my current problem. Help!

Achilles pain can be very challenging even in the general population. Sometimes there is a component of plantar fasciitis which is very aggravating. Have you seen a podiatrist for their opinion. Pain clinics can also sometime suggest alternative innovative interventions. KH

HIV+ and gastric bypass surgery
Lipodissolve/FlabJab