Change in complexion.

Hi, I have been on Kaletra and Combivir for almost 8 months now. Suddenly, I experienced a complexion change, I became dark and people keep asking what is happening to me which reminds me of my status. What is the cause? Do I need to take any drug? What do you advise?

Response from Dr. Conway

This may or may not be related to your anti-HIV drugs. The zidovudine part of your Combivir is certainly known to be associated with increased skin pigmentation. I am not aware of this being an issue with either lamivudine or Kaletra. It may also be important to consider other possibilities, such as a suppression of your adrenal glands which may be seen in advanced HIV infection or in people tkaing ritonavir (included in your Kaletra) who are also taking steroids. This includes inhaled steroids taken for asthma or allergies, so if you are on any of these medications, you need to be checked out.

ZFN and making stem cells immune
Hiv and sex