For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

PEP side-effect management

After a recent bad decision (read: alcohol induced stupidity) there is a chance I was exposed to HIV via insertive anal intercourse with a male who is known to have HIV.

After much discussion the doctors have given me a course of PEP's, Nelfinavir and Zidovudine to be specific.

The side-effects are horrendous, I haven't eaten in 3 days because of the nausia, just keep throwing up bile and mucous. I keep getting cold sweats followed by a mild fever, I'm bruising really easily and I feel very shaky.

Do you have any suggestions for managing the side-effects? I've already missed two doses because I couldn't bear to take them...I know that's stupid but I'm a wimp when it comes to being ill.

I've been taking Gravol to help with the Nausia but I find it only helps to a certain point and then stops working. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

That regimen can cause lots of initial stomach problems. You could see if they could substitue 3TC (Epivir) or tenofovir for the nelfinavir. For nausea metoclopramide or prochlorperazine can help as well as taking the meds after eating. KH

Facial Wasting and Neuropathy
Lymph Nodes Etc.