Burkitt's Lymphoma/AIDS

Please help us as time is running out quickly. My partner was diagnosed with Burkitt's in Feb 05' and is HIV+ and treatment naive--he now has AIDS. He took four rounds of chemo with three drugs and it failed miserably. The cancer is in his bone marrow but not anywhere else. They changed his regimen to Methotrexate 1000/mg 24 hrs and Arc-S over two days one every 12 hours. He just started Sustiva/Truvada before his third treatment of the failed regimen and his VL was 100K+, it is now 932---his CD4 was 36, and it is now just over 150. Those tests were conducted after five weeks on HAART it should now be undetectable. We need help finding some physician or location that has had Burkitt's patients with HIV/AIDS before---as it is so rare and the current physician seems so negative and very unfamiliar with AIDS & Lymphoma together. Could you please give us some sort of direction and also any ideas on the new chemo regimen they have him on. We too are in Chicago but are considering changing to Univ of Chicago, MD Anderson, or John Hopkins as his insurance will cover all at 100%. I appreciate your help very much. Thank you

Response from Dr. Conway

I am very pleased to see that you are responding to your treatment for HIV infection. It may be that with a higher CD4 count, you will respond better to chemotherapy, with your improved immune system. This being said, there are numerous new treatments being evaluated for your condition, including monoclonal antibodies. It is difficutlt for me to recommend one approach over any other, but if you go to: www.clinicaltrialssearch.org, and search on Burkitt's or non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, you will find the list of studies being done, along with study sites that may be convenient for you.

Good luck...

Circumcision
Tooth Resorbtion