body weight

I've been taking Sustiva and Truvada for nearly 2 years. A few months after I started treatment, my weight began to increase. I've altered by diet by trying to eat better and eat less, I drink a lot of water, and I'm somewhat physically active with daily life. I can't lose the weight, and I don't want to get any bigger. I personally feel Sustiva is the culprit. Can I be right? What can I do or take to help me slim down?

Many patients lose weight from HIV and then gain weight (from a wide range of regimens) when treatment is started and HIV is under control. Sustiva hasn't been clearly linked to being worse for causing weight gain then many alternative drugs (studies of newer regimens comparing other drugs to Sustiva are under way). Diet and exercise are still the starting points for controlling weight gain in the setting of HIV treatment. Switching meds or drug treatments are under evaluation but no approach can be uniformly recommended at this time(unfortunately). KH

Prolonging Life
Food restrictions Combivir/Stocrin