Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When to start the treatment
Jan 10, 2006

I was detected HIV +ve about 4.5 years back. My husband had expired due to same 4.5 years back.

My current Viral Load is about 450000 and my CD4 count is 390.

These are my yearly details 2005: 450000 copies/mL, CD4 390 2004: 22000 copies/mL, CD4 594 2003: 13000 copies/mL, CD4 702

I was surprised to see such high viral load during recent tests.

I have not started any medication till now.

Do I need to start medication now ? What kind of medication should I start and what is risk of side effects.

Please help.

Thanks, Preeti.

Response from Dr. Conway

Over time, it is quite clear that your immune disease is progressing. At this time, it is not absolutely necessary that you begin, given that your CD4 count is well above 200 and still above 350. However, the high viral load suggests that the CD4 count may decrease more quickly, so I might want to check it every month or so for the next 3-4 month. If it is decreasing rapidly (especially if it dips below 300 or so), you might consider starting therapy. In this day and age, once daily therapy is almost the norm with the total pill count being as low as 2/day, so many simple options are available to you if you need them.

Previous
CANADA guy - Turn POS later?
Next
any and all information about promethazine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.