Starting Meds

I started meds on December 7, 2005. About a week later, I did something, a one time thing, and that was I smoked crack/cocaine. It was the spur of the moment, one of my friends had it. But i started my meds then a week went by and I had no side effects, then after that night I had smoke crack/cocaine,I started getting real bad side effects, such has really bad side pains, diarrhea, acid reflux, etc. I just want to know that if the crack/cocaine was the cause of my side effects, and if it did anything to alter the medication?

Response from Dr. Conway

I would need to know what the medications were, to see if the side effects were even likely or possible with these agents. The effects you describe are also commonly seen as opioid withdrawal symptoms, so I might consider this as a possibility. Otherwise, there is no clear interaction between cocaine and any of the antiretrovirals we commonly prescribe to exacerbate any symptoms that might occur. You should probably see your doctor to make sure there is nothing more serious going on, but it may be that everything will just go away over a few days, and you will be reassured.

Cryptococcal Meningitis
definition of night sweats