High Biliruban

I was on Sustiva and Combivir for 3 years as my first set of meds. I was recently moved off them due to the psych effects the Sustiva was causing. With that combination my biliruban was normal. I'm now on Reyataz, Truvada and Norvir...and my biliruban is up to 3.3 and this occurred 3 weeks into this combination. My Doc did a break down of the biliruban and my Direct was normal .03 but the indirect was 3.00. He said that if it was the meds causing the issue the direct would be elevated not the indirect. Is this correct? If so what else would cause this when it wasn't an issue before? I'm 42 and other than HIV am healthy. Concerned!!

Note: Since I have been off Sustiva and Combivir...now for 5 weeks; I have regained my energy and the psych effects have gone away.

Atazanavir is associated with an increase in the indirect bilirubin levels (somewhat similar to what is seen in Gilbert's syndrome). There generally is no actual harm to the liver. In perhaps 3-5% of cases the bilirubin level is high enough that the patient and doc decide to switch off the atazanavir (due mostly to cosmetic reasons). When ritonavir is used to boost atazanavir levels the bilirubin levels are often higher than with unboosted atazanavir (ritonavir boosting recommended when using tenofovir which is inthe Truvada you are on). To date there has been little to suggest that there is an actual clinical problem with the modest increases in bilirubin seen with atazanavir but observational studies are ongoing to monitor the long term safety of chronic bilirubin increases due to atazanavir. KH

lipatropphy , cholecystectomy helpful?
cannot finish PEP!!! too much nervous pain