Elevated manganese levels

I am trying to find out information regarding the connection if any, between HIV meds and elevated manganese levels. I have been positive since 1996 and taken meds continually since that time with the exception of a two year 'medication vacation' that was suggested by my doctor. My current viral load is undectable and my CD4 is around 900 and 44%. However, it has been discovered that my manganese level is three times the toxic level, with no known exposure. I was curious to know if you were aware of any other cases where HIV meds/ or the virus itself could have increased a manganese level. My ID doctor at Duke Medical Center, is baffled as is the nuerologist. Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated.

I am unaware of any link between HIV or any antiretroviral therapy and excess manganese levels. Manganese is included in many forms of nutrional support used for malnutrition so sometimes levels can rise in that setting. Exposure to mangenese through some types of gasoline, arc-welding, dry-battery manufacturing, or mining can cause an increase to toxic levels (can cause Parkinson's like symptoms). KH

Facial Fat implant
continuing heart problems with medication