Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scleroderma or just excema?
Dec 29, 2005

I've been HIV+ since 1986. Most of my problems have always been skin related, (i.e. foliculitus, couple dozen planters warts, etc). Fortunately since the mid '90's my numbers have improved and most skin problems have vanished with the exception of what I thought was excema but am starting to think might be scleroderma based on sypmtoms I've read about. Skin on my hands gets hard, thickens, cracks and peels in very specific paterns, identicle on both hands. Moved to shoulders, upper arms and face a couple years ago, always the same spots. My hands have been very tender due to infections from the breaks in skin, steroid treatments thinning skin etc... I had carpel tunnel surgery last year thinking that would help but suprisingly it only helped the carpel tunnel (d'oh!). My Dermatologist has been treating me with various excema treatments monthly for several years but the pain and stiffness in my hands is getting worse and nothing seems to help the skin. I've read that Scleroderma is often hard to diagnose because it looks like other conditions. Any suggestions?

Response from Dr. Henry

Scleroderma is often accompanied by other medical problems (like Raynaud's phenomenon= fingers/toes turning blue/white with exposure to cold temps, swallowing difficulties, etc). A rheumatolgist is often the best consultant to involve if scleroderma is being considered as a diagnosis. In my experience many HIV+ patients have severe eczema which is difficult to clear up but what you describe sounds like more than that so further evaluation may be warranted. KH

Previous
Aquamid/Sculptra
Next
Excema or Scleroderma?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.