Avascular Necrosis

About 1 month ago I was diagnosed with Bilateral Avascular Necrosis of my hips. I am HIV positive and on a Regiment of drugs that consist of Viread, Ziagen, Atazanavir and Novir all taken once a day. I have had no trauma and do not take steriod medications. My right hip is 60% affected and my left is 30% affected. I will be needing total hip replacement surgery to my left hip and core compression to my right. My question is, do you think I have this due to medication or the HIV itself. I am 43 years old. Thank you.

Sometimes elevated lipids are associated with avascular necrosis of the hip (can be aggravated by protease inhibitors). Excessive alcohol use, pancreatitis, coagulation abnormalities, other meds (such as Megace or even inhaled steroids in the setting of use of protease inhibitors). The role of effective HIV treatment remains unclear though a small number of patients seem to develop avascular necrosis after starting effective HIV therapy. Much uncertainty remains about the actual role of HIV infection, specific drugs, or immune factors as potential triggersfor avascular necrosis. KH

What causes intermittent swollen veins, heavy muscles?
why did I breakout in hives for 3 months?