1 1/2 years on Viramune and liver issues

Dr:

I have been on virumine/truvada with great success for about 1 1/2 years. My tcell avg about 450 and vl is <50. Generally my liver tests done every 3 months are usually AST/38, GGTP/39, ALT69. Slightly elevated but pretty standard in my case over a the period I have been on HAART. I can't take SUSTIVA due to a major all-over body rash.

Recently, I had a syphilis infection and when I went in to get my Labs done again my liver enzymes increased a bit mostly my ALT/110. The week after ALT increased to ALT/289 and other liver functions were elevated. The elevation from 110 to 289 was after my first treatment of penicillin. I had only been infected with syphilis about 2 21/2 months.

I have had to stop taking my inti-HIV meds until my liver calms down, something of which I was quite upset about.

The question I have is twofold. First, although I am sure the nevirapine raised my liver enzymes in gneneral, could some mild drinking (I was on vacation, not a major drinker here) and tylenol use, while be infected with syphilis, be a cause for such elevation as opposed to nevirapine itself.

And the next big question, can I restart my same HIV combo when my liver get's back to normal? I am honestly hoping I can restart this combo since it worked so well, very easy to take (once a day) and has a great lipid/lypo profile. I have gotten a couple of varying opinions from DR.s about whether I should attempt this given the fact I ahd been on nevirapine after 1 1/2 years.

Again, thank you for your input and time. It mean alot.

Stopping a Viramune regimen can result in the devlopment of resistance until the drugs stoppage is staggered or the long half-life of nevirapine is protected in some way. Alcohol and tylenol can increase liver enzymes as can syphilis at times so it often is not clear in situations like yours. I would often still consider using nevirapine at some point but might first suppress your virus with another regimen and then consider whether to switch to nevirapine. Resistance testing might help some. Viral hepatitis (B/C) is spread sexually so that could increase liver enzymes as another possiblity to consider. KH

Lichenplanis: Where does it come from?
Depression and Anxiety