Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why does alprazolam quell side effects
Dec 3, 2005

I'm 5 years in on a regimen of Ziagen,Epivir,Viramune 3 yrs in dropped d4t 'cause my legs were melting away. Tried Epzicom and could not tolerate it.Knocked me down.I was a bit surprised.Im back on twice a day now Meds now.Fatigue(as usual) and loss of appetite have been increasing(which is odd isn't it?) problems.Could that indicate a tolerance to Ziagen?? I am also prescribed xanax 1mg 4x a day,it was 2 a day immediately upon diagnosis, for shock. and Ive took them ever since-5 years as prescribed with no problems.In fact that's the question, I increased to 4 1mg a day xanax one year after switching to Ziagen,because they seemed to fight the BAD fatigue that I have this year come to experience(i've felt it as long as Ive been taking meds,but this year an increasing problem) In fact they are of incredible benefit against any side effects my meds might wanna throw on me. Of course I expereince stress and anxiety and occasional depression.I can identify all that,but it's no more than anyone else may deal with...I deal with the mental side.After 5 yrs.you finally put your HIV status in a place.I'm sure xanax helped with that along the way. QUESTION- Why do benzodiazepines (specifically alprazolam) counter lousy side effects??Are they widely prescribed to HIv patients? I would imaginre the answer is yes. Part of the reason is obvious.But could you please expand on it if you can? If by no other basis than comparative anaysis of patient info.I couldn't do without them.In fact tried for a month recently,partly to see if there were any withdrawal type problems and all I experienced was a broken heart because I was too tired to play with my 2 yr. old baby girl.So Im back on 4-6 mg a day and feeling an acceptable level of misery again.(good) Dr's I/we all Thank you for your contributions here and I think a donation in order. Please help me understand why this drug is so marvelous at killing the retroviral lazyfunk?

Response from Dr. Henry

Since most patients taking Xanax on an HIV regimen such as yours don't experience or describe the benefit you have had it must just be a good fit for you. There is no easy biochemical/pharmaceutical answer that I can offer. KH

Previous
red rice yeast extract raising glucose level
Next
Recurring Conjunctivitis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.