Skin Blotches

Hi -

Me + since Oct 2004. I was told my status in a hospital after being unconscious for 6 days with severe viral meningitus. I suffered significant memory loss - I don't remember most of the late summer/fall of 04. I still have trouble remembering details, but my health is excellent otherwise, with an undectable VL and t cells around 940.

My question: about 2 months ago I started getting these small, red blotches on my legs. They range from the size of a dime to the size of a quarter. They are fairly light in color, but after sometime they turn darker... a little bit like the color of red wine. They are like blotches of little dots. After I had a few, I saw my doc, who sent me to a derm doc, who thought it was related to running - he called it "hiker's leg" and babbled something about the pressure on my legs and dismissivily sent me on my way. At the time, I ran at the gym every three days, so I stopped doing that. The blotches didn't really stop... they maybe slowed. But now, more are appearing again, rapidly, and I am not running at all. I'm italian and dark skinned, so they are more annoying to me than anything else - but still noticable.

I take Norvir, Reyataz (2) and Epzicom, once a day, and have since Oct 04. Could this be a side effect, or is there a possibility this is related to meds? I'm sorry to go on and on, but really appreciate any insight you may have.

Like any HIV-er, the side effects of medication strain my emotional health, and I'd like some insight beyond my doctors, a 2nd opinion so to speak.

Thanks much.

Tough to comment on without being able to observe the lesions. Too bad you don't have a more user friendly (with better bedside manner) skin doc--that is what is needed most. I assume that your clotting factors and platelet count is OK. Sometimes low level fungal infections or hair follicle irritation can cause something like you describe. KH

Sustiva side effects
warfarin