Sleeplessness and Sustiva

I used to love my sleep but now after taking Sustiva for so long (5 years) I have been having immense problems with insomnia. I have been thinking that it's a problem with the drug interacting with cortisol and melatonine levels in the natural body system as I have been seeing thousands of people suffering similarly who exercise, eat well and have a good lifestyle (and a proper good mattress), have a similar problem. Now Im looking into how to change levels of melatonine and cortisol levels to readjust it naturally. Any ideas as I think this is going to help a lot of us on Sustiva? I have had insomnia for 2 years and always half an hour after taking it, even though I have been yawning, exhausted and ready for bed. Thanks a lot, M.

You might want to see a sleep specialist to optimally sort out the problem. Sometimes taking a sleeping pill or a low dose of an antidepressant can help some patients. Taking the Sustiva in the AM also helps some. For some, switching off the Sustiva is the best choice. I haven't seen any details and an effective way to balance melatonin/cortisol levels as it relates to Sustiva side effects. Some patients take a 3 mg melatonin and 25 mg Benadryl at night with some improvement in their sleep patterns. KH

Truvada and Sustiva
Medication with Hep C