PEP Kit/Combivir & Nelfinavir

Hello. I was assaulted by an aquaintance. He had a vl of 90,000 and cd4 of 200. He stuck his fingernails in me and when we fell to the ground he cut his hand and may have had his blood enter my open cuts. He went with me to the Emergency and within 21 hours I was on Combivir and Nelfinavir. Due to a lower exposure rate 0.1% to 0.3% I wanted the safest route possible for PEP. The doctor suggested stop taking Nelfin after 7 days as it was only 10% of the PEP effect but the greatest side effects and continue Combivir for another 2-3 weeks as it is 90% of the PEP effect in preventing HIV. This would cause no damage to my liver or pancreas due to short time frame. GOT and GPT levels are normal after 5 days of PEP meds. Does this sound OK in my case? I want the effect of PEP for the possible blood to blood contact but not risk having liver damage. THANK YOU kindly.

The vast majority of patients have no liver or pancreatic damage from 4 weeks of PEP with the regimen you have been given. There is no clear data supporting use of 1 versus 4 weeks of a PEP regimen so the recommendations are fairly empiric. The standard time period is 4 weeks and there is some data supporting its effectiveness (data is only fair in quality) while there is even less data using only 1 week of an effective regimen. KH

PI, next line of drugs
Truvada and Creatine Supplements