Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When delaying is becoming non-adherance?
Nov 18, 2005

Hi!

I started taking meds about two months ago. My condition is slowly improving and I'm very strict on following my regimen. The first month, though, I forgot to take my pill, even with both beepers we have at home, me and my boyfriend to remind me, so I delayed taking them once after 2 hours, once 1 h 30, once 50 minutes... and I'm wondering: when is delaying can be counted as non-adherance? I red with a lot of interest your article Adherence to HIV Medications: Why Is It So Important?

It is clear for me that a missed dose is non-adherance but they're not precise about delaying. I asked my pharmacist and he's telling me that one hour more or less is without any problem. For example, if my time is 8 h 30, taking them at 9 h 30 is no big deal, as long as the next one is not delayed again... But I would like to get your opinion on this matter. Thanks for answering, and thanks for the excellent work you're doing.

Response from Dr. Henry

Modest changes in the time you take your HIV meds like you describe is generally OK (+/- 2-4 hours often OK) The bigger problem is missing doses altogether. KH

Previous
Parotid swelling
Next
taking a pancreatin supplement

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.