Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

why begin trtmnt
Nov 16, 2005

90,000 viral load 260 t-cell. newly diagnosed in mid-'03. I have not had an infection, no illnesses, I am clean and sober 6 months, I like how I feel now physically, and am emotionally stabalizing. I have heard why I should begin trtmnt, I would like to hear some reasons why I should wait to begin trtmnt. Thank You.

Response from Dr. Henry

When to start treatment can be a highly variable and individualized decision. Many factors other than just CD4 count and viral load may impact risk for illness (many we don't regularly measure which have to do with genetics, immunology, viral factors, etc). If you were Jo Average your risk to develop an AIDS-defining serious infection over the next 3 years would be around 40% (which is relatively high) while if you were to go on treatment the risk would drop to close to 0-3%. Since we don't know if you will recover your CD4 cells well (most do but some don't) then waiting for them to drop to the AIDS range before starting treatment involves some risk as well. The available treatments in resouce rich countries are getting better, simpler, and more tolerable. Ultimately, if you are really ready to start treatment after considering all the angles is the most important factor of all. KH

Previous
Oi meds
Next
Allergies and CD4 counts

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.