Rash with Sustiva/Truvada

I began drug regimen on 10/12/05 of Sustiva(600mg at night)and Truvada in the morning. I have been on this regimen now for approximately one month. Aside from continuing problems with quality sleep, my main concern now is a rash that has developed on my back, upper arms, neck and face. It is quite itchy at times. I have been using a Benadryl gel which helps for awhile. Which drug is the most likely culprit in causing the rash? The rash developed about a week ago by the way. Would taking Benadryl orally help? Other than the rash, I am feeling fine at this time. I know this med combo is the best for first time HIV med users like me. HELP!!!

Often rashes in the area your described could also be due to flares of seborrhea or eosinophilic folliculitis (sometimes associated with immune reconstitution. Seeing a dermatologist to sort out often is helpful. Besides antihistamines, often oral or topical antifungals is helfpul and are local steroids. If your rash is due to a drug Sustiva would be most likely in my experience but I generally have not observed drug rashes to be distributed like what you describe. KH

Rampant KS
reiters