HIV & Testosterone

Hi! I have been diagnosed with HIV since MAY 2005 --- and have been having a rough time dealing... now my doc tells me my testosterone levels are dropping. Should I consider supplements/replacement therapy? I am told that once I start replacement, that my body will never produce tes on its own again. Are there reliable supplements I can take? At what levels should I seriously consider meds? I am not yet on any HIV meds. Mist recent t-cell is 490 and viral load is 78,000. I look forward to your reply. Thank You!

The very long term safety and benefit of testosterone replacement therapy in uncertain. In many patients it does improve quality of life and support maintaining lean body mass. Testosterone has been widely used in HIV+ men and I am unaware of any specific problems due to HIV infection or HIV treatment relating to physiologic testosterone replacement. Hormone replacement in women has been extensively studied for decades and is very complicated and at times controversial. There is comparatively scant data for men and testosterone. It is true that use of exogenous testosterone often results in suppression of natural testosterone production-the time course of recovery of natural testosterone production if use of exogenous testosterone is stopped is unclear to me. KH

Uridine revisited
Rampant KS