would it hurt me if I....?

change from a 4-drug regime to a 3-drug one? Reason: my insurance no longer has a fixed copay amount for drugs but rather a percentage of the price so my monthly drug cost has increased significantly. I am currently on Viread, Epivir, Sustiva and Viracept. This is my second combo, changed not because the first one had failed but because of side effects (lipodystrophy). I was first on Videx, Sustiva, Viracept and d4t. When I went into meds, I had 15 T cells and viral load close to 800,000. After 3 months on my first regime, I was undetectable and have remained since (over 6 years) My CD4 count has been in the upper 800 for over 4 years. I wonder if I could cut down to 3 meds without jeopardizing my current numbers. And, if so, which one would I cut?

Response from Dr. Conway

As an editorial comment, it is sad when financial issues force what should be a medical decision. This being said, it appears as if you have had an excellent long-term response to a 4 drug regime, and it is likelier than not that 3 drugs will be sufficient to allow you to maintain your response. If you stopped the Viracept, your regimen would be a low pill count once daily cocktail, which would probably help you with long-term adherence and success. Further, if this is available to you, you could substitute Truvada for the Viread/Epivir to reduce the total pill count to 2/day. Put this to co-payers and see what they say...

d4T replacement?
do i have HIV