Is this a side effect or am I just depressed

Dear Doctor Its now more than 3 months on Trizivir and I am still being beset by extreme fatique, panic attacks of fast and slow breathing, sleepless nights, hard and sticky very dark brown stools, constipation, palpitations, and continual stomach discomfort. I have not been able to work for 3 months and as I am self employed I am using up all my savings friends have been amazingly supportive both emotionally and financially and I have no lack of people to talk to. I have been diagnosed as in a depressive state and have so far taken 2 SSRI drugs Paroxetene, escitalopram and tianeptine. However they all made me feel worse and I stopped each after periods of 2 weeks. I decided to get rid of the depression by concentrating on intensive swimming every morning. However as I was in my usual comatose state when I arrived at the pool last Thursday I slipped and fell gashing my arm. I was taken to hospital for 3 stitches in my elbow, a course of antibiotics, anti tetanus jab and orders not to swim for 2 weeks. The stomach has been much worse and the hard stools have turned to diareaha. My HIV treatment specialist says if I change the cocktail from Trizivir to another I am most likley to continue in a depressive state and that I should instead persevere with the anti depressive drugs. This was confirmed when I went to London for a second opinion. My question for you is what am I to lose if I change the Trizivir to another cocktail ? I am seeing the doctor on the 9th November 2005. For what it is worth every few days I have a period of several hours where I can function normally and I convince myself I am better and that the nightmare is over. However for no reason whatsoever I have invariably collapsed into the comatose state. I try to be out in the sun as much as possible as this certainly helps. Today I am in between and am able to compose this note I had the stitches out this morning and was told will be able to swim from the weekend. Your comments much appreciated. Best regards George

A small subset of patients really have a hard time with AZT particularly (part of Trizivir) so an alternative regimen (ie nevirapine + Truvada or Epzicom or atazanavir/ritonavir + Epzicome are among the many options available to consider). KH

Side effects
i'm shaky