Side effects

My boyfriend was bitten last week while working with the police. As a precaution, the doctor issued him with anti-retro virals. He has become very ill in the past 48 hours (ie. severe headaches, vomiting, hayfever and nausea). The doctor has not told him if he can take any other medicines and has prescribed him with Combivir and stocrin 200mg. The medication is making him feel so sick he wants to stop the treatment but I know it is better for him to continue with the treatment. What can I give him to stop some of the side effects.

I ordinarily would not recommend use of HIV drugs after a biting injury unless the biter was known to be HIV Infected on no treatment-otherwise the potential benefit is too low to be worth the cost and side effects (if HIV status of source person unknown would not generally recommend prophylaxis). Many/most patients will have side effects with Combivir/Stocrin for the first days/weeks. Headaches can be treated with analgesics and nausea/vomiting with a number of anti-emetics. KH

New Combo, New Side Effect
Is this a side effect or am I just depressed