dietary protease vs HIV protease

My mother who is a dietician feels my regimen of Kaletra, Invirase and Truvada is interfering with fat absorption. She feels this is why PI's seem to result in smelly or loose stools.

Her solution, dietary enzymes which contain the following:

Lipase: 4000 USP units Amylase 25,000 USP units Protease 25,000 USP units

I guess whats making me nervous is the last ingredient, protease. Isnt this what were trying to inhibit or is dietary protease something different? Ultimately I should check with my clinics pharmacist, but I was wondering if anyone on the site knew off hand if HIV and dietary protease were one in the same...

What you are describing is a combination of enzymes produced by the pancrease to facilitate digestion and absorption of food from the gut. If there is pancreatic insufficiency then those enzymes are given in pill form and that is often helpful. I have had numerous patients with pancreatic problems take those replacement enzymes with benefit and no apparent interference with absorption/activity of their HIV protease inhibitors (completely different target of action). There is no clear data that the GI problems seen with HIV protease inhibitors is generally due to pancreatic enzyme dysfunction though I have had a few patients where provision of those enzymes (can be expensive and have their own side effects) seemed to help some. KH

Memory loss/aggresion
can this be?