New injection option?

Mr. Kurtyka, I am a 48 year old male diagnosed HIV+ in '85 and with AIDS in '92. I participated in stage 3 trials for fuzeon and it did wonders on decreasing my viral load. At the end of the trial I chose not to keep using it because of the reactions at the injection sites. My current doctor is pushing me to start using it again because my phenotyping and genotyping tests show I am resistant to any available drugs. I have been told that there is a new type of tool that is being tested that would inject or "force" the medication under the skin and not produce the same irritation at the injection site. Do you know anything about this or how I could follow up on it? Thank you so much for your time.

Response from Mr. Kurtyka

It sounds you are talking about the Biojector 2000. This device uses carbon dioxide to force medication through your skin without the use of a needle.

There was a small study done using the Biojector for Fuzeon administration and presented in Dec 2004 at the DART meeting in Jamaica. This Spring, a larger study was initiated comparing the Biojector 2000 with regular injection methods and with using insulin needles. As far as I know, they are still recruiting people for this research program which is being coordinated by Statscript Pharmacies around the country. Your healthcare provider has to sign some forms to enroll you in the program. I'm not aware of any way to get access to the Biojector 2000 without going through this program.

I have a couple of patients that have tried the Biojector and I've heard from many others. Some people say there are fewer injection site reactions, some say there are more. Some say less pain with injection, some say more. All the reason to do a large study to compare the experiences and results!

The concept has been used for administering injections for quite a while. A carbon dioxide cartridge powers the medication through the skin into the subcutaneous fat where it is then absorbed by your body.

Check out their web page for more detailed info. Biojector 2000

You may also want to check out the availablity of other new drugs in clinical trial such as second generation PIs and NNRTs (Tibotec has several) and possibly some of the CCR5 inhibitor.

--dk

From Buenos Aires dudes!!!!
Fuzeon and transfusion