reaction to septra?

Doctor, I had about seven doses of Septra (pneumonia propholaxis)when I suddenly developed severe chill, fever of 103.5, sore throat, some itching and facial flush. No blisters or jaundice. Stopped after one day. I'm about to start drugs (Sustiva, 3TC, and Viread) and I stopped the Septra. I noticed your comments earlier. Anything you'd recommend before starting? Thanks.

I often try to avoid starting too many drugs at the same time which can result in rash reactions since it can be tough to sort out. For persons with a sulfa allergy (quite possible from your description) dapsone often is effective otherwise aerosilized pentamidine or Mepron can suffice. If you CD4 count is not that much below 200 then simply getting started on HIV treatment (hoping that the CD4 count quickly rebounds out of the range of risk for Pneumocystis=PCP) and carefully watching holding off on the PCP prophylaxis (considering what you just experienced) is also an option. Your HIV specialist is the best person to discuss the pros and cons of the various options open to you. KH

RE: Dr Conway from india...please help....
Hair loss as a result of meds or just age?