Lipoatrophy

I am positive and so is my parter. Do the meds I take prevent a reinfection if my parter has a different type of HIV than I have? We practice safe sex. Also, my partner appears to have moderate lypoatrophy---but swears he has only been on meds for 2 years. Is this possible? I was under the impression that this was a side effect from long term use of the medications. Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Conway

If you are on medications and your viral load is undetectable, you are definitely protecting your partner from being infected with the strains of virus you carry, especially if you practice safe sex.

Lipoatrophy can develop with HIV itself (even without treatment) and can certainly develop within the first 2 years of treatment, quite unfortunately. This is especially true if a drug such as stavudine is part of the regimen.

Sustiva/3TC/Tenofovir
Lipodystrophy getting worse on "lipo friendly" treatment