Severe hip pain

In the past 4 or so months I've noticed that the pain in my hip has become more and more severe. My primary care doctor had me get x-rays, but they came back with nothing wrong. I am taking Percocet and Viccatine for pain in my back, legs and foot, and it's not even touching the pain in my hip. I saw my ID Doctor today and she is setting me up to see ortho, and said there is some HIV related hip disease. Could you tell me a little more about this? This pain is making life almost unbearable. Thanks Bill

Response from Dr. Conway

Sometimes, one can have problems with the hip (something called aseptic necrosis of the head of the femur) that can be associated with HIV and its treatment and may not show up on a regular X-ray. Additional tests (such as a CT scan or bone scan) may be needed to diagnose it. It may still be that the issue relates to your joint rather than your bones, so it may still be a good idea to see a specialist to figure this out.

Side Effects??? for Naive
Sustiva/3TC/Tenofovir