Neurological Manifestations of long term survivor

If I have been positive since the early 80's and my doc says I have neurological manifestations of AIDS, also with neuropathy and gait disturbance, what exactly does that mean? Does that mean I have some dementia or just nerve damage in my hands and feet? Is gait disturbance[marked] a symptom that is neurological or the beginning of something that will gradually get worse in terms of my mind and my body[balance, driving, being able to walk rather than being bedfast, etc...] Is it reversible with Haart. Sometimes I get lost very easily, confused, etc...Tell me the truth, please, so I may ready myself. Thank you so much

Response from Dr. Conway

Without knowing anything else, it would be important to establish the nature of the symptoms you have (is it a central nervous system, peripheral nerve or muscle problem). Then, if you are on medications, could they be playing a role? Next, it would be important to make sure there isn't an easy reversible cause of your symptoms, which can be established by simple blood tests. You would then move on to more involved testing to make a diagnosis. I always tell my patients to keep an open mind throughout the process until there is something specific to worry about.

Neurological symptoms
joint problems: shoulders and hip going out