The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Undiagnosed condition on my lip.
Oct 20, 2005

I am a 39 year old male who has been living with HIV/AIDS since 1984. I am very troubled because of a condition on my lips that I have had for approximately four years and it continues to be undiagnosed by my primary care physician who sent me to dermatologists, ENT specialists, plastic surgery specialists and oral specialists. The condition first appearred as white spots on my lips and then it progressed each year - with the areas getting larger -and more infested. The condition now looks like flat, large circular abrasions or areas of dark pigmentations on my lips. But inside my lips it still mostly appears as large white spots. The doctors have tested me for warts, HPV and it's negative for both, unknown pathogen. At this point, my primary care doctor, who I get along with very well, has stated that the condition is undiagnosable and that I should just learn to live with it. I cannot accept this. Do you have recommendations of what else the doctors should test for? And, are there other outside referrals/specialists who I should be seeing. Thank you in advance for your attention. Signed, suffering in silence.

Response from Dr. Henry

I have had several patients who developed excessive glands in the lips (whitish bumps) for unclear reasons. Have you had a lip biopsy? I have seen use of potent localized corticosteroids on a trial basis help several patients with that condition. KH

Follow-up Re: Drug Reaction
what to expect

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint