Apple Shape Body

Before I started taking ARVs I had a pear body shape (large hips, small top). After taking ARVs for more than a year I developed an apple shape body (my upper part of the body is larger) and my legs have gone very thin, my tummy large, my shoulders - larger. Is there any way to control this so that I can have my old body shape? I am also gaining alot of weight. I was so frustrated I stopped taking the ARVs for nine (9) months. I have started taking the ARVs again. My CD4 count has dropped from 583 to 222. Do you think I will be able to respond to the ARVs? Will my CD4 be able to go up again. The ARVs I am taking is Triomune. Please advise.

Triomune containts D4T, 3TC and nevirapine. Of those the D4T has been linked the most to fat-related problems. If possible use of one of the generic products which uses AZT instead of D4T might be helpful. Exercise and diet can help some but these fat issues remain a major challenge. Many patients will gain 10+ pounds of fat during the first year on effective therapy for a variety of reasons. KH

facial wasting
Antiretroviral drugs and the baby