HIV-ITP

I recently seroconverted mid July and was diagnosed HIV+ end of August. The very next day I was hospitalized with a blood platelet count of 6000. I was given IgG for 3 days and released with a count of 50,000. I started taking Truvada, Reyataz, and Norvir as well as Predisone to increase the platelets. My platelet count over the past 4 wks since release fr the hospital has flucutated fr a high of 72,000 to 12,000 as I have blood work done weekly.

I am concerned that I may need to be on predisone for a long time. Initially it was thought that after being on HAART for a month or two the HIV anitbodies would fall and my platelets would increase.

Can you tell me what you know about HIV-ITP, how it is managed, and prognosis?

There is more experience with a beneficial effect of AZT as one of the HIV drugs which is reported to improve the platelet count. Whether that is an historical artifact (AZT only drug studied for many years) or whether AZT has some unique property is unclear to me. Dapsone can often help some as well. Most patients can get off corticosteroid and often tolerated low platelet counts very well. In some cases a splenectomy can quickly resolve the problem. KH

Preventive/Therapeutic Vaccine
my own experience with lipoatrophy treatment