AIDS Dementia

I am my brotherâs caregiver. He suffers from AIDS Dementia, coupled with his opportunistic illness was viral encephalitis, herpes simplex.

My brother was diagnosed in 1989.

I would like to know more about AIDS Dementia and perhaps some techniques for dealing with this issue.

Can you recommend specific articles or texts on the subject?

Thank you.

AIDS dementia is usually seen in late stages of AIDS when the CD4 count is low (<< 200). Effective HIV therapy can often reverse it. Dementia in the setting of AIDS can also be due to other infections (such as JC virus, toxoplasmosis, fungi, etc). Typical AIDS dementia is characterized at early stages by slowed thinking and apathy. Then motor movements are slowed and weakness can develop. Effective HIV therapy as I said can reverse. If the patient (or the HIV virus) is resistant to HIV meds or doesn't have access to them then the situation is very frustrating. General information can be found at www.aidsinfonet.org KH

loss of appitite
Swollen neck lymph nodes and MAC