Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AZT, still a viable treatment option?
Oct 6, 2005

Dear Dr. Henry -- I have entered a drug trial at my local University Medical Center here in Omaha, NE ... according to their genotype/phenotype information the regimen I was on was only somewhat working -- I was on Kaletra/Ritonivir/Truvada...The Kaletra was at 50% resistance, and the Emtriva was maxed out on the resistance scale--which strangely enough I had only begun taking 4 weeks prior to the testing, determined from a previous resistance test that I was sensitive to. My CD4 has fallen to 165, but my viral load fluctuated from 31, 600 back down to 6,900 -- still within range for the trial study (they did not want an indetectable VL). After reviewing my regimen, the Director of the program advised me that a new regimen of Saquinivir+Ritonavir+AZT +viread+ the trial drug (Maravoric) should work better for me. What do you know about Saquinivir and side effects, and is AZT a safe viable drug these days? I remember all the reports of anemia and people vomiting with it -- maybe it got a bad rap back when it first came out. Is it more tolerable now, or would you recommend something else in that class of drugs? I am now also taking Bactrim until my CD4 climbs above 200. Thank you for all your consideration. JJ

Response from Dr. Henry

AZT is still a good drug for many patients (it is dosed twice a day at a lower dose than in the early days). Have you taken Fuzeon as well (T-20). I have had some patients respond well to Maravoric based regimen when used with T-20 when never having taken T-20 previously. If Sue Swindells is your doc in Omaha tell her hello-you are in good hands! KH

Previous
New Regimen
Next
loss of appitite

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.