AZT, still a viable treatment option?

Dear Dr. Henry -- I have entered a drug trial at my local University Medical Center here in Omaha, NE ... according to their genotype/phenotype information the regimen I was on was only somewhat working -- I was on Kaletra/Ritonivir/Truvada...The Kaletra was at 50% resistance, and the Emtriva was maxed out on the resistance scale--which strangely enough I had only begun taking 4 weeks prior to the testing, determined from a previous resistance test that I was sensitive to. My CD4 has fallen to 165, but my viral load fluctuated from 31, 600 back down to 6,900 -- still within range for the trial study (they did not want an indetectable VL). After reviewing my regimen, the Director of the program advised me that a new regimen of Saquinivir+Ritonavir+AZT +viread+ the trial drug (Maravoric) should work better for me. What do you know about Saquinivir and side effects, and is AZT a safe viable drug these days? I remember all the reports of anemia and people vomiting with it -- maybe it got a bad rap back when it first came out. Is it more tolerable now, or would you recommend something else in that class of drugs? I am now also taking Bactrim until my CD4 climbs above 200. Thank you for all your consideration. JJ

AZT is still a good drug for many patients (it is dosed twice a day at a lower dose than in the early days). Have you taken Fuzeon as well (T-20). I have had some patients respond well to Maravoric based regimen when used with T-20 when never having taken T-20 previously. If Sue Swindells is your doc in Omaha tell her hello-you are in good hands! KH

New Regimen
loss of appitite