Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

strange question-don't laugh
Oct 3, 2005

Since the other forum is not accepting questions right now,I hope you will answer this for me. It is said that uncircumsized men are more susceptible to HIV than circumsized men. I am assuming this is because the head of the penis is usually covered with foreskin making it less skin-like? Maybe that's not the reason but here goes my question--I am circumsized, mine was I believe considered a low and loose circumsizition. I have some loose skin on the underside of my penis behind the head. I am of normal size when erect but when flaccid my penis is quite small and I am now in my late 40's and while flaccid my penis literally vanishes!! It shrinks back into the skin of my shaft!!(I don't know if this is called foreskin when you have had a circumcision). This my be a dumb question but would this be the same as being uncircumsized and carry the same higher risk of transmission???? Again this may be a dumb question and not really for this board but it really bugs me and I would love a honest answer

thank you for all your work here

Response from Dr. Conway

The risk about not being circumcised is that it increases to contact time of the head of the penis with infectious fluids and cells, in addition to the other issue you bring up about the head of the penis being better protected by being more constantly exposed. In your case, it appears that the head of your penis is fully exposed when you are erect (and at risk of being infected with HIV), so you do not have the risk of acquiring HIV of an uncircumcised man.

Previous
A few reasons why a cure will never come
Next
Neck gland/face swollen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.