Stomach Pain

My regimen of Kaletra and Combivir is causing frequent bouts with stomach pain and cramping. I often have a tightness in my stomach, constipation and diarrhea. Should I change my regimen or can you prescribe anything for me to take with my current medication to alleviate my symptoms? Thank you.

Often the stomach complaints with Kaletra and Combivir are severe and worse during the first several months. Checking for other problems (ulcers, gastric reflux, H pylori infection, etc) is worthwhile. Some patients get benefit from Reglan, H2 blockers, caclium supplements, fiber tablets, and taking the meds with full meals. If nothing seems to help then a switch to an alternative regimen is worth considering. What you could switch to depends on your treatment history and resistance status. KH

PI's and diarrhea
Osteoporosis and HIV drugs