Flatulence

Hi-

I'm on a regimen of Kaletra and Combivir and have been for the past 7 weeks. I have had horrible gas. Too try and curb my gas I have stayed away from foods like beans and broccoli, but to no avail. Is there any advice you could give me to lessen my gas. Also, I have diarrhea and have heard that Kaletra causes diarrhea for as long as you are on it. Is this true? Thank you.

That is a fairly common problem. The perhaps soon to be available new Kaletra formulation may or may not help some. Use of Beano, Lactaid (if lactose intolerant), simethicone, or a switch to an alterative PI (such as boosted atazanavir, saquinavir, or fosamprenavir) or to an NNRTI based regimen (such as Sustiva or Viramune) may be an option for some patients depending on their treatment history. KH

Merck Vaccine
HIV Doctors in Miami