steroids to treat eye of HIV +

Dear Doctor, I hope you are well. I refer to your answer to my question of 12 Sep. I had angiogram and MRI, which showed no abnormalities in my right eye. There is the inflammation of the optic nerve. Eye specialists consider it may be connected with being positive. Anyhow they intend to treat me with steroids, first 3 days in hospital, then continue at home. How can this therapy influence my ART (Videx EC400 and Hydrea) and body (CD4 226 ,VL undetectable). Thanks and greetings . I/from SA

Response from Dr. Conway

You are on unconventional antiretroviral therapy, but is seems to be working. The steroids will weaken your immune system to some extent, but if you stay on therapy for HIV, there should not be a problem as long as your antiretroviral therapy is continued, and your viral load and CD4 count are monitored. Ideally, I would prefer you to be on more conventional HAART and to avoid the Hydrea (which impairs a different part of your immune system, namely the neutrophils), but I am not opposed to proceeding as you are. After all, the inflammation of the eye requires treatment right now.

Loss of Appetite
Dr. Conway ...Can you help me?