Loss of Appetite

Dear Dr. Conway-

I have been on a regimen of Kaletra & Combivir for the past two months. Unfortunately, the regimen has left me with a no appetite. I was wondering what you might prescribe or change to alleviate this condition.

Thanks very much.

Response from Dr. Conway

First, I would want to make sure that there is nothing else going on to cause your loss of appetite. If there is not, I would want to know if your viral load is undetectable on treatment. If not, I would be tempted to stop the HAART, allow your appetite to return and then think of another regimen for you. If the viral load is, indeed, undetectable, I would then see if we can identify which of the drugs you are on that may be making you lose your appetite (it is probably the zidovudine part of Combivr or the Kaletra) and do as single drug switch (such as zidovudine to tenofovir or Kaletra to Reyataz, as examples) to see if this addresses the problem.

SPREADING
steroids to treat eye of HIV +