CMV / AIDS
Sep 20, 2005
Response from Dr. Henry
CMV infection with retina involvement generally is seen when the CD4 count is < 100. If you regain CD4 cells on therapy the risk for CMV retinitis is reduced dramatically. For persons stuck with low CD4 counts (ie < 25-50) then use of oral ganciclovir can reduce the risk (often perhaps best if CMV antibody positive and evidence for CMV antigen in blood) but that drug is expensive with side effects of its own. Routine eye exams are recommended (every 6-12 months) if the CD4 count is < 100 so that any evidence of eye problems is treated early. Treatment is generally effective for patients developing CMV retinitis when identified early and where patients have access to the necessasry medications. KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Dry Mouth After Swallowing Precum What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Groin Pain After Licking Rectum Worried I Have HIV
- Loose Stool After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- White Discharge After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.