CMV / AIDS

I have AIDS - CD4 100 VL 677000. Diagnosed HIV+ 1989. I think I could deal with anything but blindness. Am on Truvada / Sustiva. Are there any drugs to prevent CMV from occuring?

CMV infection with retina involvement generally is seen when the CD4 count is < 100. If you regain CD4 cells on therapy the risk for CMV retinitis is reduced dramatically. For persons stuck with low CD4 counts (ie < 25-50) then use of oral ganciclovir can reduce the risk (often perhaps best if CMV antibody positive and evidence for CMV antigen in blood) but that drug is expensive with side effects of its own. Routine eye exams are recommended (every 6-12 months) if the CD4 count is < 100 so that any evidence of eye problems is treated early. Treatment is generally effective for patients developing CMV retinitis when identified early and where patients have access to the necessasry medications. KH

More of an answer than a question
f/up facial swelling