Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV terrorism
Sep 19, 2005

I'm reading the archives and I noticed the terror (in many cases irrational) that people feels about the risks and possibilities of a trasmission. In my honest opinion, a movement called "HIV terrorism" has evolved in the past 20 years that today is showing the results of a paranoid population that fears every time to be infected from a sex encounter or a social contact. "ahould I hang myself", "feeling suicide" ... people are deadly scared. is this a quality of life? what about human reproduction? Is it rational to believe that the low amount of newborns could be in great part the consequence of this terror? It is for me unexplainable that the lack of responsibility in giving informations about the virus was never prosecuted. I think that this terror making should be stopped. HIV is one of the most hard to get viruses around. Even unprotected heterosexuals encounters must be of a large number to reach a significant risk according to many doctors and scientists. People should use protection but not getting paranoid and suicidal after a sex experience. making of love is natural and extremely necessary for the survival of the human species

Response from Dr. Conway

Thanks so much for providing this perspective. Thankfully, HIV is hard to get. However, it is transmitted sexually and the possibility of getting HIV (and other, more easily transmitted, sexual pathogens) must be part of your thinking as you are deciding to be sexually active in this day and age. This being said, there is a fine balance between rational decision making and panic, living responsibly with the consequences of your decisions and being paranoid and suicidal. May we all work together to achieve this balance.

Previous
hair loss
Next
Elisa positive,PCR negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.