hair loss

hi doc, i started meds for the first time about 6 weeks ago. i take epzicom and sustiva. i do not have any side effects so far except the sustiva drug like feeling wich is getting better thank god. there is one thing though, i am loosing a lot of hair everyday. i am not sure if it is a side effect or just coincidence. i just turned 29 yo. i talked to my doctor and he said, it might stop by itself, what do you think? also, wether it is a side effect or not, is there anything i could do about it? rogain or propecia? would i have any drug interactions if i decided to use them? thanks for your time and your wonderful job.

I have had many patients who report increased hair loss after starting HIV therapy. Most of them were on different regimens than yours so it unclear to me whether it is due to immune reconstitution, a drug effect, or simply more attention to anything that seems different. If the problem persists then a review of all of your meds (3TC in my experience may be the most likely HIV drug) to see if a switch is an option. Both Rogaine and Propecia are generally OK with your current HIV meds. KH

what about ....
HIV terrorism