Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what about ....
Sep 18, 2005

So I'm just curious...I've been reading the answers and just to summarize: lymph nodes related to HIV come in groups shall we say ? and also they last for extended periods of time...and also they are in pairs meaning left side of the body and also the right side of the body. One question is how long after would a lymph node be related to possible HIV infection... for instance I had an HIV test done about end of August and it had been 3 months for me and just recently I got a small node in my neck.. which I'm sure is nothing to worry about am I right doc?.. or can nodes come even after the waiting time ... but I keeping in mind i had a test done almost a month ago saying negative...

Response from Dr. Conway

There are many causes of small lymph nodes in the groin or neck, most of which are not HIV. If the node were part of acute HIV, it should come up within 6 -8 weeks of the exposure, so it is almost certain that you are safe. You need to get the HIV antibody test done 3 months after the exposure to confirm that you are negative. If other symptoms consistent with acute HIV infection occur in the meantime, you should talk to your doctor to get other tests done sooner, but it is almost certain that this will not occur.

Previous
Molluscum
Next
hair loss

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.